Website Streets Ministries
Streets Ministries is a 501c(3) nonprofit organization with two sites located in some of Memphis’ toughest
neighborhoods. Founded in 1987, STREETS now serves nearly 400 students a day providing opportunities and
resources to help them find their path to academic, spiritual, and physical achievement. For more information,
please visit our website at https://www.streetsministries.org.
Position: Elementary Program Coordinator
Reports to: Site Director
Job Summary: The purpose of the Elementary Program Coordinator is to coordinate and manage all programs and
activities that directly relate to the elementary schools in the neighborhood and elementary age children at
Streets Ministries. The objective is to help increase 2nd and 3rd graders literacy skills using a digital program called
Summary of essential job functions
• Coordinate Streets after-school elementary literacy program and summer programming initiatives.
• Research and provide resources needed to achieve elementary programming goals.
• Recruit, train, and match volunteers with students for tutoring.
• Create and maintain updated records on each elementary program and each child’s program participation
and progress; report data in the Salesforce database.
• Recruit, interview, and train interns; contact Kingsbury High School and local colleges for candidates.
• Continually recruit, screen, and evaluate children in the various programs; be alert for students not
achieving academic growth and research and provide other tools for improved reading fluency.
• Ensure all elementary staff and volunteers complete Book Nook training and orientation.
• Facilitate, monitor, and support volunteer/student reading times.
• Ensure materials are ready and devices are charged prior to program start time.
• Plan and host Block Party events twice per month with elementary students.
• Build positive relationships in the affiliated schools and communities, including but not limited to
participation in: school lunches, extra-curricular activities, the classroom, and sporting events.
• At the Site Director’s discretion, participate in open recreation time: positively interact with middle and
high school students, maintain appropriate behavior of students, and encourage them to participate in
• Exhibit a hands-on approach to each child’s scholastic development.
• Work closely with the volunteer coordinator regarding new volunteers; represent STREETS at recruitment
• Be a friendly, available, and attentive face for both volunteers and students.
• Communicate with parents frequently to encourage them and remind them of upcoming events.
• Create and maintain the Elementary annual budget.
• Perform additional duties as requested.
• College degree preferred.
• Background in elementary education or demonstrated skills in literacy instruction preferred.
• Must possess passion for the mission of STREETS Ministries.
• Maintain the highest moral standards in personal and professional life.
• Agree to Streets Ministries’ Statement of Faith.
• Must legally reside in the United States and pass a background check.
• Ability to communicate competently with the staff and community while conveying the purpose and
mission of the ministry.
• Capable of building collaborative relationships with others to gain support of the elementary program.
• Eagerness to perform contact work in the neighborhood.
• Must possess strong organizational and planning skills.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Flexibility in scheduling with occasional evening or weekend work.
• Position may require occasionally lifting objects of 10 to 25 lbs.
Environmental and Working Conditions
• Both office-oriented work and involvement with youth recreation programs.
• School campus during school lunch, special programs, and projects.
• Travel requirements: local events as needed.
In compliance with applicable law, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to
perform the essential functions of the position.
All duties are to be performed within the safety protocols established by STREETS to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people
assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills
required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal
responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
To apply for this job please visit streets.cloud9strategies.com.