The Communications & Publications Intern is responsible for providing direct support to the VP of Communications & Publications, Sr. Director of Communications & Publications, the Manager of Communications & Publications, and the Coordinators of Communications & Publications for team-related matters, including game-day media services, and corporate communications needs including FedExForum matters.
In This Role You Will
- Assist in all aspects of game-day preparation and organization, while assisting in game-night staff duties during all Grizzlies home games during the preseason, regular season and postseason;
- Assist in developing media coverage for all business initiatives, including FedExForum & Grizzlies Business Operations;
- Assist in covering Grizzlies practices, shootarounds, related team events, FedExForum events (concerts, family shows, etc.);
- Compile, archive and distribute through e-mail daily news clippings to Grizzlies staff members regarding team matters;
- Create and deliver media packets for visiting media, coaching staff and other pertinent basketball operations staff, featuring game notes, clippings and statistics;
- Produce daily league statistical packets and combine with game notes and other trends for coaches, basketball operations and communications department use for all home and road games;
- Assist in development of publications such as the Grizzlies media guide, Grizzlies postseason media guide, Grizzlies yearbook, draft guide, summer league media guide, etc.;
- Write postgame notes to distribute to media following home games;
- File and disseminate various statistical information and team quotes following home games;
- Assist in preparing press releases, advisories and media kits;
- Assist with editorial content and production of Grizzlies and FedExForum publications;
- Assist in pitching story ideas to media;
- Assist in providing team content to Grizzlies.com and FedExForum.com;
- Other related duties as assigned.
The Experience You Will Bring
The Experience You’ll Bring
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, sports management or related field.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Strong project leadership skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment with multiple projects and deadlines.
- Ability to take constructive criticism.
- Must be able to excel under pressure.
- Must be available to work all games and dates, including events falling on weekends and holidays.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
Nice to Have:
- One year of experience as intern for major professional sports team or collegiate sports information department.
- Proficiency with Adobe.
- Knowledge of the City of Memphis and the Memphis Grizzlies.
What We Offer
At the Memphis Grizzlies our internships provide an opportunity for you to put your education into practice, develop your leadership skills and gives you a competitive advantage of working in professional sports at the end of your internship. In addition to offering a competitive hourly wage and paid holidays, we have a host of other tangible benefits.
Keeping You Healthy
- Industry leading health coverage
- Wellness programs through EAP and Headspace
Discounts and Perks
- Team Store Discounts
- Happy Hours and other fun activities
- Free parking and game night meals
- NBA Sponsored Discount Programs
- Employee Referral Bonuses
- Employee Recognition Programs
Taking Time Off
- Generous paid holidays, including but not limited to, MLK Day, Juneteenth, July 4th, Labor Day and more
Professional Growth & Development
- Gain coveted work experience
- Develop and refine skills applicable to future careers
- Establish and foster critical networking connections
- Gain confidence and master professional soft skills
Memphis Basketball LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to treating all applicants and team members fairly based on their abilities, achievements and experience without regard to race, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other classification protected by law.
Connect With Us!
To apply for this job please visit careers-grizzlies.icims.com.